Sunday, September 13, 2015

Jamaica Teaching Ministry 2015

Arriving in Jamaica never gets old or routine.  As the plane dropped out of the sky on the edge of the ocean, I was filled with emotion and excitement.  I passed through customs uneventfully and more quickly than ever before.  Since the Rathbuns are in the U.S. awaiting their visa renewal, I was met at the airport by Pastor Madden of Hillview Baptist Church.  We had a lovely time of fellowship on the 45 minute drive up the mountain to Fairview.  I had barely settled into the "big house" when visitors started arriving.  It was wonderful to see my Jamaican friends again.

Today I attended Bird Mountain Baptist Church.  It included a rugged one hour ride on a road that wound through the mountains and got increasingly narrower until it was only one lane.  I marvel at how fast they drive on these roads.  I was able to see another province of Jamaica (Westmoreland) and some beautiful views of the mountains and sugar cane plantations.  The service began at 10:30 with a unified Sunday School and concluded just after 1:00 p.m.  Then we had a "snack" of sandwiches and pop and a time of fellowship.

I am in Jamaica during the rainy season.  Do you remember that huge, heavy rainstorm we had in June?  Multiply that volume a few times, add a lot of very loud thunder, and you will have an idea of the rain we received here this afternoon.  When it finally cleared, I hiked up to the Wrights home for dinner.  Mrs. Wright specializes in baking cakes - so much for my idea of losing weight on this trip.

If someone had suggested five years ago that I would be here today, I would have laughed incredulously and begun naming reasons why I could never do it.  But on that first Jam 2013 trip, the Lord carved a place in my heart for this ministry.  My love for Fairview and its people far outweighs the challenges of heat, humidity, and wasp nests.  Now I understand all those missionary presentations I heard while growing up, and I have my own story of God's amazing plan for my life.  Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment